Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Minestrone Soup - Candida Style!

I’ve decided to start a blog posting recipes that fit in with my Candida diet. Most people have never heard of Candida, so here is a definition in a nutshell. Anyway, when I first realized I had Candida, it required a complete change in the way I ate. No more starches , processed foods, no sugar in ANY FORM, etc. It is easier to list what I can eat than what I can’t eat. Basically I can consume meat, veggies and some complex carbohydrates like rice and barley. I can also eat grains no one has ever heard of like buckwheat, amaranth, and the like. I was seriously depressed for quite some time because I was hungry and had no idea what to make that I could actually eat. But with the help of my Mom, my sweet friend Carmen, and lots of experimenting, I have a pretty broad range of recipes to choose from. So in case anyone else with Candida ever stumbles across my blog, maybe they can benefit from some of the recipes I’ve collected.

So all that to say, I threw this soup together last week when we all wanted something warm, satisfying and comforting. It turned out delicious! All of the ingredients are Candida friendly except the potatoes. Those can easily be eliminated and the soup is still tasty and, most importantly, FILLING!

Ingredients
  • 3 cups chicken stock
  • 3 cups water
  • 1 large can diced tomatoes
  • 1 small can Italian diced tomatoes
  • ½ cup rice or barley
  • ½ cup lentils
  • 2 potatoes, peeled and cubed
  • 2 small sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
  • 2 celery stalks, chopped
  • 1 large onion, roughly chopped
  • 3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
  • 1 lb. sautéed sausage
  • 2 tsp. thyme
  • 2 tsp. oregano
  • 1 tsp. red pepper flakes
  • Salt and pepper to taste
Simmer all ingredients until veggies, rice and lentils are soft. Enjoy!!

2 comments:

  1. Just made this soup with some modifications, including no meat and no potatoes. I also used bone broth.
    The flavour was FABULOUS!! I will definitely be adding it to my regular meal rotation :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice Post.

    Candida Diet Food Lists

    http://www.theyeastdiet.com/candida-food-list/

    If you are searching for the healthier yeast diet food to overcome Candida or yeast overgrowth, then your search ends for Yeast and Candida Diet Free Food Lists at The Yeast Diet.

    ReplyDelete